Friday, August 15, 2014

Restoring Faith in Humanity!

If you haven’t noticed it already, the videos on ‘restoring faith in humanity’ have gone viral on Facebook/YouTube. It is such a shame that someone has to compile a video to make us realize about the need for humanity.

We are all so caught –up in ‘making our lives’ that we fail to appreciate people and nature around us. Is there really a need for a wake-up call?

It was during one of my summer vacations, holidaying with my family in an island for a fortnight (still searching for the pic, once I get a hold of it will surely post it).  It is a beautiful island untouched by the modernization of the world and breathtakingly fantastic to sit in the beach and just gaze at its beauty. The only way to get around is walking or cycling.  The island is flocked by tourists from all over the world!

One late evening, during a walking exploration - an apple vendor came running in front of us with a basket of apples on his head, trying to sell. I was walking empty handed and pocket; explained in the best of my ability that I din’t have money on me to pay him(had just learnt the basic words to get around with the locals).

He smiled; placed the apples (15) in my hands and said you can give my 8000shillings when we meet tomorrow or next time. And before I could ask him to walk with me to my resort, he wished me good night and went away.

I thought about the incident and shared it with my family. What shook me was his confidence or faith in the fact that I will pay him back! It is a floating population and there is no guarantee that his money will come back to him… but it was his faith and humanity to believe in others. The next day, I went to the same place and he was there- with the same smile and enthusiasm; paid the amount owed to him.

Humanity was, is and will always be there! We need to have the eyes to watch and the heart to appreciate… 




No comments:

Post a Comment